Sunday, March 6, 2011

The Butterfly Effect

Butterflies made with paper patterns from Audrey Imagine cartridge,
cuts from Hannah Montana, Lyrical Letters and Gypsy Wanderings
Recently my husband and I attend a National Youth Leadership Council (NYLC) Alumni reunion. My husband was involved with this organization in high school in the Twin Cities area. He attend their camp and was on the Student Advisory Board. He has long wanted an alumni group to gather and work to help support the organization and this meet up was the first in what he hopes will be many gathering of the camp's alumni.

At the meet-up one of the staff members, talked about her goals and visions for the camp as it moves forward. She talked about The Butterfly Effect. The Butterfly Effect is a metaphor that basically states a small change at one place in a complex system can have large effects elsewhere. She really sees each student that attends the camp or is a part of the advisory board as a butterfly flapping their wings to help promote changes in their own communities. I loved the way she talked about this concept and was pretty moved by the whole experience as it was my first time being round this organization that means so much to my husband.

I decided that I really wanted to do something to let her know that her words spoke to me and to let her know I supported her and what she is doing with the NYLC.  I have decided I want to make her 1,000 butterflies and send them to her to pass out to the teens she works with, decorate the office of the NYLC or whatever else she feels she can use them for. It is my way of lending support and helping her remind others that even something as small as the flapping of a butterflies wings could make a large impact somewhere else.

I am going to use all the different cuts I have on cartridges to make the butterflies and a lot of the paper patterns from my Imagine carts to create the paper. I have only made about 20 so far, but I wanted to share. If anyone would like to help me in my butterfly making quest please let me know. I would lve to be able to send a message to saying how one little gathering helped inspire many of my crafting friends as well.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Inspiration & Smiles from you are so welcomed.